Historical Background of Hämes-Havunen
The property of the country house Hämes-Havunen is historically connected to the Havunen family and the original settlement of Kauhajoki. The ancestor of Havunen family in Kauhajoki, Tyni Hannunpoika, came to Kauhajoki from Hauho in the year 1627. He arrived along the Summer Road of Kyrökangas, which ran through Hämeen-Pohjankangas, the first road from Tavastia and Satakunta to the Finnish-speaking South Ostrobothnia. Along the same road arrived many other original settlers as well.
Tyni Hannunpoika built a fishing hut on the shore of Kauhajoki, five kilometers to the south from the current parish. Later, Hannunpoika and his descendants build houses and other buildings close to the fishing hut. In these buildings, which were a hundred meters away from the current ones, there was also an inn. This inn is the reason why Hämes-Havunen has occasionally been called the Gate of Ostrobothnia. Situated by the Kyrönkankaantie road in the village of Hyyppä, Hämes-Havunen was indeed the last house of Ostrobothnia before Pohjankangas. The building of the restored buildings currently standing on the lot began at the beginning of the 19th century. The building of the main building began in 1827. In the following years, almost 20 houses and outbuildings were built. However, some of them were later demolished or destroyed.
The placement and architecture of the buildings represent the typical rustic architectural culture of the South Ostrobothnia. The group of buildings is one of the few remaining South-Ostrobothnian houses with two enclosed courtyards. The buildings of Hämes-Havunen served the members of Havunen family until the 1960s, when they were left vacant. In the year 1974, the municipality of Kauhajoki bought the one-hectare lot of Hämes-Havunen and the buildings on it from the heirs of Havusela, part of the Havunen family.